Possession Proceedings

Are you having problems with your landlord? Has your landlord asked you to leave your property, or are they threatening possession proceedings?

Whether you rent from a local authority, housing association or a private landlord, your landlord must follow a strict procedure when asking you to leave your home. You cannot be evicted from your home without a court order.

If your landlord wants you to leave they must give you written notice.  The notice must be in a specific format otherwise it will be invalid.

Our expert team can review whether your notice is valid and can speak to your landlord on your behalf. If your landlord is concerned about rent arrears, we can check you are receiving the right amount of Housing Benefit and put you in touch with specialist advisers.

If your landlord does issue possession proceedings, you will receive a date and time to attend at Court. At the hearing, your landlord may ask the court to make an order giving them possession of your home. We can represent you at this hearing and defend the claim.  We can put your side of the story forward, and we will work to secure the best possible outcome for you.

It is important to get advice as soon as you know that your landlord wants to start possession proceedings.

Legal aid is available if you are financially eligible and we will always assess you for Legal Aid.

Our Housing team is the largest in the North East. We have specialist solicitors in our Newcastle and South Shields offices who can offer an urgent appointment if a court hearing is imminent.