We all know that children and tumbles go hand in hand.  Fortunately, kids are resilient, and bouncing back is one of their great characteristics. But what if an accident leaves your child with a serious injury as a result of someone else’s negligence?

In this awful scenario your priority would of course be to get medical treatment quickly to ensure your child recovers. What you may find over the following weeks and months though, is that there are all sorts of expenses which you hadn’t anticipated: lost earnings as a result of time off work to look after your little one, medical equipment, trips to hospital incurring parking charges, petrol costs or taxi fares.  A personal injury claim allows you to reclaim these costs, and ensure that your child receives the medical treatment they need to recover fully, as well as compensation for their injuries.

Parents can bring a claim on behalf of their child any time up until the child’s 18th birthday. If the claim has not been brought by then, your child can bring a claim up until the day before their 21st birthday.

In order to succeed you have to show that the injury was caused by a person or an organisation who owed your child a duty of care – that would include schools, nurseries, sports centres, funfairs and amusement parks, shops and restaurants, to name but a few. You also need to show that you as their parent didn’t act in a way that caused the injury.

Any award of compensation is approved by the court to ensure that it is an appropriate amount, and the funds can then be placed in a special account with the court or released to a parent in order to meet necessary expenses.

We advise and represent parents and children in a range of kinds of claim, from trips and slips, to head and spinal injuries. We know that bringing a personal injury claim can be daunting, but we are here to provide clear advice and to make the process as straightforward as possible at a time when you need it most.

For more information contact Hayley Baker on 0191 232 9547 or Chat Live on our website.