At David Gray Solicitors LLP we hold a firm belief that all of our employees have a vital part to play in delivering excellent service to our clients, thus maintaining our local and national reputation and growing the business.
Specific job vacancies are detailed on this page but we continually welcome speculative applications. Applicants should apply in strictest confidence to the recruitment team
by sending a CV and covering letter by email.
As we have a large family law department
we are continuously seeking applications from experienced family law solicitors specialising in finance and children arrangements during divorce and separation.
Benefits for David Gray Solicitors Staff
The list of benefits you can expect at David Gray include:
Work life balance benefits
- Culture of promoting from within
- Career progression opportunities e.g. Training Contracts, Apprenticeships, Associate and Senior Associate programmes
- Autonomous working – we employ trusted people to get on with the job in hand
- Personal development opportunities – we invest in the training and development of staff and support and pay for staff to gain relevant accreditations (e.g. children’s panel, mediation, higher rights)
- Profile raising and recognition – support in gaining listings in The legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, awards nominations.
- Holiday entitlement (22-27 days non-Fee Earner contract, 27-32 days Fee Earner contract) plus bank holidays and extra time off at Christmas (subject to variation)
- Birthdays off in addition to holiday entitlement
- Holiday Purchase Scheme – ability to buy an extra three days
- Homeworking with flexibility
- Paid emergency time off for dependants
- Free personal time to use as you please e.g. early finishes on Fridays
- Staff parties/gatherings/social events/weekends away
Healthy you benefits
- Bonus Scheme
- Pension Scheme (matched contributions up to 5%)
- Death in Service benefit providing loved ones with four times your annual salary (for staff with 12 months of continuous employment)
- Maternity Pay (18 weeks full pay, 8 weeks half pay for staff with 18 months of continuous employment)
- Paternity Pay (2 weeks full pay)
- Sickness pay (up to 20 days)
- ‘Christmas Club’ Savings Scheme
- Friends and family discount for legal services and free wills for staff
- Travel schemes e.g. discounted POP cards, Railcards
- Employee Assistance Programme -24/7 free access to counselling for you and your family members, health advice, financial assistance, life coaching and advice with practical day to day issues
- Free fresh fruit weekly & tea and coffee
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Training and information sharing via healthcare experts e.g. dementia training, on site health checks, cancer awareness, healthy eating
- Support for and involvement in charities and activities e.g. the Legal Walk, the Legal Bake, Macmillan Coffee Morning
- Trained Mental Health First Aiders
A day in the life of...
Find out more about the day to day work our team does in our 'A cuppa with' series of informal Q&As:
- Janice Hall Janice is a senior associate solicitor in our crime and motoring team.
- Bryony Rest Bryony is a partner and heads up our immigration department.
- Matthew Smith Matthew is a senior associate solicitor and heads up our commercial property team.
Once selected, we offer a comprehensive four week induction programme where you will spend time in each of our departments. We have an open, friendly culture and you can be assured a good North East welcome.
Equality and Diversity Information
All applicants are requested to complete and return an Equality and Diversity Monitoring Information Form, You can find this at the bottom of the application page. Please note this form is not compulsory. The form is for monitoring purposes only, it is anonymous and will not be included with or linked to your job application.
Applications can be made on the job advertisement.
We asked our team what they liked about working here at David Gray:
“My team. Everyone is caring and appreciative and looking out for one another”
“Fantastic atmosphere, genuine efforts made by Firm to look after employees by way of benefits provision”
“Friendly colleagues, relaxed atmosphere and excellent benefits.”
“Good support within my team and from management”
“I feel I have been supported through childcare and making things work with my family. I think the firm is supportive when it comes to childcare issues.”
When we have training contract vacancies they will be advertised on this page however, we always welcome speculative applications. Applications can be made by CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to sign up to our mailing list to receive updates about training contract vacancies please email email@example.com.
Our recruitment process for training contracts consists of an interview and a written exercise and/or oral presentation.
Currently, we are unable to offer work placements due to the pandemic, check back here for updates or send a speculative CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage applications from all sections of our diverse community, irrespective of age, disability, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), sexual orientation, religion or belief, or because someone is married or in a civil partnership. We want an inclusive organisation that reflects our community and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. We believe our organisation will be a better, more creative and innovative place to work if we can harness the benefit of different perspectives.
Led by renowned Immigration Practitioner and ILPA convenor Bryony Rest, our team are nationally recognised for their expertise and specialist knowledge in immigration law. We are seeking a solicitor…
The role: You will be a qualified solicitor with 2+ years PQE with experience in care work. Children Panel accreditation would be an advantage but not essential. We reward…
The role: You will be a qualified solicitor with 3 – 9 years PQE with experience in financial work. The role will primarily involve dealing with privately paid financial…
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Personal Assistant with a background in property law to join our team. You will be supporting one or more solicitors in…
The criminal defence and motoring team at David Gray are looking for a new team member.
While experience is preferred it is not essential as we have a comprehensive…
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced conveyancer to join our property team. Your work will consist of residential conveyancing, both sale and purchase. It can be a…
We are looking for an enthusiastic paralegal to join our Wills and Probate team.
Your work will mainly consist of assisting the solicitors in the team by…