?> Skip to content

Give us a ring!

You can contact us on 0191 232 9547 and our reception team will direct you to the right place. If you have the extension number of the person you’d like to speak to they have recently changed and now start with 2 instead of 1. E.g. previously ext. no. 1803 is now 2803.


How can we help?

Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt

If you are in immediate danger please call 999.

Domestic abuse is common and can take many forms including emotional, physical, sexual, financial or psychological abuse. Statistics show the police receive one call every minute about it, even though it is estimated that the majority of abuse goes unreported. It happens in close relationships between people of all ages, gender, sexual orientation, class and culture.

Acknowledging that a partner, spouse or family member is abusing you is one of the hardest steps you can take. We know that you may be frightened, confused and anxious and asking for help can be difficult and daunting. Our domestic abuse solicitors can provide you with legal advice on obtaining legal aid and applying for an injunction. They can support you through this difficult time, working with you to decide an approach that you are most comfortable with.

As a victim of domestic abuse, there are a number of options available to you, from reporting the violence to the police, obtaining an injunctive order, to temporarily (or permanently) leaving your home or remaining within your home and having your abuser leave. Our domestic abuse solicitors can provide you with legal advice on what the most appropriate steps are for your current situation. Securing your safety is our top priority, and we will become part of your support network, providing expert advice every step of the way. Here, one of our domestic abuse specialists offers advice on what to do if you or someone you know is experiencing abuse:

Legal Aid for Domestic Abuse

Legal aid is available if you are a victim of domestic abuse and are financially eligible. Our team of friendly family lawyers will always assess your eligibility for legal aid, and help you to get the necessary information to enable us to apply for funding on your behalf.

How could David Gray solicitors help?

Our award-winning team of Resolution Accredited Specialists will be on your side. We are here to advise you about the best way to protect yourself and any children, and to represent you in any urgent court applications that may be necessary. Every case of domestic violence is different, but your safety is our priority at David Gray Solicitors.

Our experienced domestic abuse solicitors can advise you of the best course of action to take for your situation and can also advise you about related issues concerning property, finances and children.

Applying for an injunction

An injunction is a court order that prevents someone from doing something. If you are at risk from domestic abuse then an injunction can help to protect you. Our specialist domestic abuse solicitors can provide legal advice around applying for an injunction. There are two main types of injunctions available for survivors of domestic abuse:

  • A non-molestation order – protects you or your children from being threatened, harassed or harmed by your abuser or through third parties.
  • An occupation order – sets out who can live in the family home and can prevent.

We work closely with local support organisations to ensure you receive the practical and emotional help you need alongside our legal advice.

Advice for domestic abuse organisations

We work closely with agencies, charities and support organisations to ensure service users receive the support they need as well as the correct legal advice, here is a guide to our support for domestic support agencies.

For more information please contact Louise Law by email or on 0191 232 9547, or complete the contact form on our website in confidence.

Frequently Asked Questions

Shall I report my abusive partner to the police?

We understand that people who experience domestic abuse can find it difficult to ask for help or support, this can include reporting incidents to the Police.  We understand that there are lots of reasons why you may feel like this, including a lack of trust, fear of repercussions or fear that you will not be believed.

We would urge you to contact your local Police force to report any incidents of domestic abuse which you experience.  It is important that they are logged and investigated as they can be used within Family Law Court proceedings if they are required.  In addition, the Police are able to give you advice and support around whether the conduct amounts to a criminal offence. The Police may be able to implement bail conditions to keep you safe.

In addition, we can provide you with advice and support regarding your options if you have been subject to domestic abuse, including applications to court to protect you.  Please contact our Customer Relationship Manager, Louise Law on 0191 232 9547. 

I'd like to make an application to Court for an Injunction, but I am scared about going to Court.

The Courts are familiar with dealing with vulnerable people.  There are special provisions which can be requested to ensure a person’s safety at court.  These are things such as protective screens within the Court room so that you do not have to see the other party, separate waiting areas and separate entrances to the court building.

We will be able to talk you through these options and provide you with advice in advance of any attendance at Court, to reassure you. If you require advice regarding domestic abuse, please contact Louise Law on 0191 2329547

Will Social Services get involved with my children if I make a report of domestic abuse.?

The Local Authority have got a duty to safeguard children in their area and this can include ensuring that children are not exposed to domestic abuse.  The focus of Children’s Services is to help support families to stay together and this can include offering support and advice to victims of domestic abuse.  Children’s Services can help to find local organisations to support you, including housing, health services and specialist domestic abuse support services.  They will expect you to work openly and honestly about the circumstances that you are in and to take on board advice regarding how best to protect yourself and your children.

We are able to offer advice and assistance regarding the Local Authority’s involvement with families and domestic abuse victims. Please contact Louise Law on 0191 2329547

I'm scared if I report domestic abuse it will get worse

We understand that seeking advice regarding your circumstances can seem like a very frightening prospect and that you might worry about your partner finding out.  It is possible to apply to Court without giving notice to the other party so that a protective order called a Non-Molestation Order can be made by the Court to immediately offer protection to you and any children, if needed.

We can give you advice and represent you at court on an urgent basis by asking the Court to grant an urgent Order for your protection.  If you require advice, please contact Louise Law on 0191 2329547

The David Gray Domestic Abuse Solicitors Team

Lucy Mead


Lisa Russell

Senior Associate Solicitor

Sukhi Patter

Senior Associate Solicitor

Beth Tilley

Associate Solicitor

Gael Phillips

Associate Solicitor

Parmdeep Kaur


James Rickerby

Trainee Solicitor

Emma Johnson

Trainee Solicitor

Rebecca Graham


Search the site

Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt