I am a family solicitor with almost 25 years experience of representing family members in legal cases. I am also the managing partner of David Gray Solicitors LLP with responsibility for the strategic planning and operational running of the firm.
I have represented children, parents, step-parents and adopters in adoption cases and have a thorough understanding of this complex area of law.
I have spent many years representing people experiencing domestic abuse and I am very sensitive to the issues involved.
As a Higher Rights Advocate, I enjoy representing my clients in all levels of the family court. I take time to listen to what is important for my clients and do my best to use the law to help them achieve their aims. I know the law can sound complicated and I try to explain things in a way that people can understand easily. I know that having a family legal problem is very stressful and I try to make things as easy as I can for my clients.
I am an accredited arbitrator (children’s issues) and member of the Institute of Family Law arbitrators.
I hold the following accreditations and memberships :
- elected national committee member of Resolution which represents over 6000 family justice professionals throughout the country who are committed to the constructive resolution of family disputes
- co-chair of the Resolution legal aid committee.
- member of the Association of Lawyers for Children
- accredited as a member of the Law Society Family Panel and the Children Panel
- accredited by Resolution as a specialist lawyer in the areas of private children law and domestic abuse
- 2013 the “brilliant” Elspeth Thomson delivers “simply outstanding advice and service”
- 2014 the “personable” Elspeth Thomson is “well-regarded”
- 2015 Elspeth Thomson has “a firm grip on case law relating to children”
- 2016 Elspeth Thomson is “highly regarded and a clear leader in the field”
- 2017 Elspeth Thomson is “a clear leader in her field”
- 2019 ‘Highly professional’ managing partner Elspeth Thomson ‘handles matters sympathetically’ and stands out for her expertise in adoption law including adoptions with a foreign element.
I am often asked to comment on legal issues in the media and have appeared on BBC2’s Newsnight, Radio 4’s Women’s Hour, Law in Action and Radio Newcastle; a selection of which is shown below. I read Law at Cambridge University and qualified as a Solicitor in 1994.
Elspeth on The Jeremy Vine Show, BBC Radio 2 discussing the Domestic Abuse bill (21.01.19)
Elspeth on BBC Radio 5 Live discussing the Alfie Evans case (27.4.18)
Elspeth on Share Radio (30.1.17)
Elspeth on BBC Radio 4 Woman’s Hour (30.12.16)
Elspeth on BBC Radio 4 Woman’s Hour (15.9.16)
Elspeth on BBC Radio London (4.5.16)