Our team of LGBTQ+ solicitors and support staff provide a welcoming and confidential service to the LGBTQ+ community within all areas of our expertise.
At David Gray Solicitors we understand that there are special considerations when it comes to managing your personal legal affairs. Specific legal advice is often required when it comes to trans-parenting rights and legal parenthood for children conceived through donor insemination.
There is legislation that governs the rights of LGBTQ+ people, including:
- The Adoption and Children Act (2002) – gives equal rights to same-sex couples applying for adoption.
- The Civil Partnership Act (2004) – gives same-sex couples the same legal rights and responsibilities as married straight couples in England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
- Gender Recognition Act (2004) – gives trans people full legal recognition in their appropriate gender, allowing them to acquire a new birth certificate.
- The Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations (2007) – prohibits the discrimination of goods, facilities, services, education and public functions on the grounds of sexual orientation.
- The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act (2008) – permits same-sex couples as legal parents of children conceived through the use of donated sperm, eggs or embryos.
- The Equality Act (2010) – makes gender reassignment a protected characteristic.
- Protection of Freedoms Act (2012) – allows for historical convictions for consensual sex between men to be removed from criminal records.
- Marriage (same-sex couples) Act (2013) – gives same-sex couples the right to marry.
Our LGBTQ+ legal services
We can support and protect your rights in a broad number of areas including:
- Civil Partnerships Dissolution
- Premarital agreements
- Family Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Arrangements for Children whose parents have separated
- Gender Recognition
- Wills & Probate
As a firm, we were early supporters of Legal Pride, a Law Society initiative committed to supporting LGBTQ+ legal professionals and clients all over the UK.