?> Skip to content

Give us a ring!

You can contact us on 0191 232 9547 and our reception team will direct you to the right place. If you have the extension number of the person you’d like to speak to they have recently changed and now start with 2 instead of 1. E.g. previously ext. no. 1803 is now 2803.


How can we help?

Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt

Ending a civil partnership is called a Civil Partnership Dissolution, you can do this if you’ve been in the partnership for over a year.

Grounds for Civil Partnership Dissolution

As the law stands currently, you must be able to prove that the partnership has “broken down irretrievably”. This could be because:

  • You cannot be reasonable expected to live with your partner due to unreasonable behavior
  • Your partner has deserted you for two or more years
  • You and your partner have lived apart for at least two years and your partner consents to dissolution
  • You have lived apart for at least five years

The Dissolution Process

The dissolution process usually takes around four to six months if there are no contests to the dissolution or other complications. We will advise you on:

  1. Seeking legal advice on the process and preparing the papers
  2. Filing the Civil Partnership Dissolution petition
  3. Next steps
  4. Conditional order
  5. Final order

We frequently advise on Civil Partnership dissolution. The breakdown of any relationship is a profoundly difficult time. Trying to assess its impact on your children, home, pension, and finances can leave you confused, distressed, and anxious about what the future holds.

We know that there are no ‘winners’ in this situation. Each family is unique and so there is no ‘one size fits all’ solution. We understand that you need clear advice about how to resolve the issues you face in a way that best meets your and your children’s needs and is cost-effective.

Our highly skilled and experienced team across our Newcastle and South Shields offices will listen to your concerns and talk you through your various options. This includes advice about the different ways of resolving the problems you are dealing with, including family mediation and collaborative family law.  In some cases, it may be necessary to go to court. This could be the most efficient and cost-effective way to progress your case. Our award winning team of expert family lawyers will advise and represent you so that you can get the best possible outcome for you and your family.

We know that it is normal for separating couples to experience many stressful emotions and we can also advise you about non-legal support services that you may find helpful at this difficult time.

For more information please contact our experienced team.

The David Gray Civil Partnership Dissolution Team

Lucy Mead


Lisa Russell

Senior Associate Solicitor

Gael Phillips

Associate Solicitor

Jenny Carter


Parmdeep Kaur


Search the site

Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt