HOME > Services > Immigration > Business Immigration

Business Immigration

    I have no words to describe how happy I am; It has been a long and sometimes frustrating process, but in the end we did it ! I can't thank you enough for your extraordinary help and guidance throughout the application process.

    Client testimonial about Bryony Rest - Immigration

If you are a business based in the UK that relies on skilled workers from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), or an investor or entrepreneur looking to invest funds or enter into business in the UK, it is imperative that you get the right business immigration advice to protect you and your potential workforce.

Our business immigration team, headed by highly-experienced partner, Bryony Rest, is recognised nationally and rated in the prestigious Legal 500 rankings.

If you’re looking for help with personal or family visa applications, head over to the Personal Immigration page.

The team can advise on all aspects of business immigration including:

We can help you wherever you are in the UK or abroad and have a proven track record of assisting clients:

  • who wish to invest or undertake business in the UK
  • with the recruitment and retention of key staff for their businesses
  • who wish to enter or remain in the UK to work

Immigration and Brexit

Worried about how immigration law changes as a result of Brexit will affect your business? We can advise you on the likely future immigration landscape as it changes.  We can assist you and your workforce with applications under the EU settlement scheme to help achieve EU settled status and ensure the continuing right to work in the UK.

We update our Brexit page regularly with the latest news and information.

Future business immigration changes

Following the publication of the Government’s White Paper in late 2018, it is anticipated that there will be significant changes to work and investor routes to the UK in the future. It is important to seek up to date advice ahead of proceeding in these routes so that you are aware of the current law and any imminent changes that could affect a work and business visa applications.

Services for entrepreneurs & investors

There are several routes currently available for individuals who wish to set up in business or invest funds in the UK. These routes have very different and complex requirements so it is important that you receive advice to assist in identifying the most appropriate route to apply in and of the necessary criteria to be met.

We have extensive experience of advising on these applications with a high success rate with Entrepreneur applications in particular.

Services for employers

For a business to employ skilled workers from outside the EEA in Tier 2 or temporary workers in Tier 5, they first need to obtain a Sponsor Licence from the UK Visas and Immigration government team. The business must be able to demonstrate that they are an established entity in the UK and have appropriate systems in place to monitor the migrant workers they wish to sponsor.

The obligations placed on employers can be onerous and the consequences, if they are not correctly complied with, can be very damaging to a business with a Sponsor Licence being suspended or revoked.

We have extensive experience in applying for Sponsor Licences in both Tier 2 and Tier 5.  We also advise on immigration compliance issues including where Sponsor Licences are suspended and revocation threatened, right to work checks and Civil Penalties.

Services for employees

For a worker from outside the EEA to enter or remain in the UK to work, there are a number of routes currently available including Work visas – Tier 2 and Tier 5 in the Points Based System but also in other routes e.g. Ancestry.

It is important to identify the most appropriate Visa application route available and be aware of the requirements to be met, in particular, the required skills and salary level needed for the type of post to be undertaken.

Our team have experience of skilled workers applying for both initial visas, extensions of leave visas and Indefinite Leave to Remain for themselves and their family members.

Contact us

You can talk to Molly Beattie by telephone on 0191 232 9547  (ext. 1306) or contact her by email to molly.beattie@davidgray.co.uk.

Alternatively, you can book an appointment and visit us at one of our North East offices:


56 Westgate Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 5XU

South Shields:

142 Fowler Street, South Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE33 1PZ


What does a business immigration lawyer deal with?

Business immigration lawyers provide legal support to companies, entrepreneurs, investors, employers and their employees with regards to immigration law.

What does my business need to employ skilled workers from outside the EEA?

All businesses who wish to employ skilled workers from outside the EEA in Tier 2 or temporary workers in Tier 5 need to apply for a Sponsor Licence.

How can I obtain a Sponsor Licence?

To obtain a Sponsor Licence, you must fill in an online application where you will be provided with a submission sheet which then must be posted to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) with the correct supporting documents. Find out more here.

How long does it take to obtain a Sponsor Licence?

The Home Office currently state an application takes around 8 weeks.

What is a UKVI compliance visit?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) can conduct announced and unannounced compliance visits on businesses who hold a Sponsor Licence in the UK. This is to check that the business is meeting compliance obligations. They can also undertake a pre-licence assessment visit to check the employer has the necessary systems in place to operate the licence.

THE DAVID GRAY Business Immigration TEAM

  • Partner
  • Solicitor