HOME > Services > Mental Health > Appeals to Upper Tribunal

Appeals to Upper Tribunal

Mental Health hospital

    I am extremely grateful to you personally and to David Gray Solicitors and I note the range of legal services you offer and would certainly use the services again should the need arise.

    Client testimonial about John Cavener - Mental Health


The Mental Health team at David Gray Solicitors is fully operational and working from home to help and advise you by telephone, email and video conference – whatever works best for you.

Tribunal hearings are still proceeding in most cases.  These have been achieved through telephone hearings to date but are due to be via video conferencing where possible from 14 April 2020.  We can still represent you at these hearings and free legal aid is available to all detained patients.

Please contact us at mentalhealthadmin@davidgray.co.uk or by calling 0191 232 9547.

You may be able to appeal the decision of a First-tier Mental Health Tribunal to the Upper Tribunal if there was an error in law.

First you should ask the First-tier Tribunal to review their decision.  The Tribunal can agree to do so but if they don’t they will then decide whether you should be given leave to appeal their decision to the Upper Tribunal.   If leave is not granted then you must seek permission directly from the Upper Tribunal itself if you wish to proceed further.

The Upper Tribunal has the power to set aside the First-Tier Tribunal’s decision and make a fresh decision themselves or send it back to the First-tier tribunal for them to reconsider.

Appeal from the Upper Tribunal lies with the Court of Appeal.

For help and advice on appeals to the Upper Tribunal contact our team of specialists at our Newcastle or South Shields offices.

The team specialising in this area of work

  • Solicitor
  • Solicitor