I am a family solicitor with over 20 years experience of representing family members in legal cases. I am also the managing partner of David Gray Solicitors LLP with responsibility for the strategic planning and operational running of the firm.
I have represented children, parents, step-parents and adopters in adoption cases and have a thorough understanding of this complex area of law.
I have spent many years representing people experiencing domestic abuse and I am very sensitive to the issues involved.
As a Higher Rights Advocate, I enjoy representing my clients in all levels of the family court. I take time to listen to what is important for my clients and do my best to use the law to help them achieve their aims. I know the law can sound complicated and I try to explain things in a way that people can understand easily. I know that having a family legal problem is very stressful and I try to make things as easy as I can for my clients.
I am an accredited arbitrator (children’s issues).
I hold the following accreditations and memberships :
- elected national committee member of Resolution which represents over 6000 family justice professionals throughout the country who are committed to the constructive resolution of family disputes
- co-chair of the Resolution legal aid committee.
- member of the Association of Lawyers for Children
- accredited as a member of the Law Society Family Panel and the Children Panel
- accredited by Resolution as a specialist lawyer in the areas of private children law and domestic abuse
I am named as a key individual with Chambers and Partners, who for the 2018 edition stated:
“Elspeth Thomson is a child law expert who earns praise for her “genuine care for the work she does.” Clients appreciate that she is “always very realistic and honest but in a very positive way.””
In addition I am featured as a leading individual in Legal 500, the key independent legal directories. The Legal 500 said,
2013 the “brilliant” Elspeth Thomson delivers “simply outstanding advice and service”
2014 the “personable” Elspeth Thomson is “well-regarded”
2015 Elspeth Thomson has “a firm grip on case law relating to children”
2016 Elspeth Thomson is “highly regarded and a clear leader in the field”
2017 Elspeth Thomson is “a clear leader in her field”
I am often asked to comment on legal issues in the media and have appeared on BBC2’s Newsnight, Radio 4’s Women’s Hour, Law in Action and Radio Newcastle. I read Law at Cambridge University and qualified as a Solicitor in 1994.
- The Children Law round-up at the 28th National Resolution Conference, 22-23rd April 2016
- Elspeth on BBC Radio London [mp3]
- Elspeth on BBC Radio 4 Womans Hour - 15.9.2016 [mp3]
- Elspeth on BBC Radio 4 Womans Hour - 30.12.2016 [mp3]
- Elspeth on Share Radio 30.1.2017 [mp3]
- Elspeth on BBC 5 Live Radio 27.4.18 [mp3]